1. USER BEHAVIOUR
a) City council staff:
- We will incorporate road safety in to the council workplace risk prevention plan and provide safe driving training for council employees.
- We will involve citizen in the development of actions to improve road safety through model activities and cooperation programmes:
o Sporting associations
o Cultural associations
o Business associations
- We will work with 6 schools on different activities to promote road safety through education, for example:
o Organise outreach sessions from the emergency services, (Civil Protection, Fire, Local Police, etc..) to explain to students their work, their vehicles in regards to road safety.
o Organize workshops on prevention “youth night, drinking and driving”
o Road education course taught by local police in all schools in the Municipality, including theoretical and practical session in a road safety park.
d) Vulnerable groups
- We will promote and strengthen road safety training and awareness among the more vulnerable groups in society:
o Road safety education campaign for young people.
o Talks on safety when moving arround the city, given at centres for retired people and homes for the elderly.
o Road safety course on moped driving for young people.
2.- VEHICLE SAFETY
- We will organise an extra ordinary program of periodic review of vehicles of the City Council.
3.- INFRASTRUCTURE SAFETY
We will implement the following:
- Creation and/or improvement of pathways and pedestrian areas.
- Reinforce the control of signs at roadworks and protection provided at these areas, as well as how they affect vehicles and pedestrians.
- Raising of pedestrian crossings to form speed humps in streets with long straight sections, no crossroads or roundabouts, increase in lighting and installation of traffic lights at pedestrian crossings, expansion of pavements to facilitate pedestrian traffic. Placing protective elements such as fences and hedges to prevent pedestrians from accessing areas with little visibility, withdrawal of obstacles that hamper visibility at pedestrian crossings.
- Standardisation of signs, removal of excess signs, and inventory of all vertical and horizontal signs on a digital map using computer software and the control of signs at roadworks. Anti-slip finish on painted horizontal signs.
- Installation of protection bands on high-risk guardrails in the city
- Road marking of 30km/h zones with elements that hamper driving at higher speeds.
- Installation of an infrared camera system to photograph drivers who jump red lights, fixed and mobile radars and speed indicators.
4.- PROFESSIONAL TRANSPORT
- Specific training for professional groups.
- Regular meetings with taxi drivers and deliverers.
- Study and research activities and a creation of a database of all accidents and incidents occurring in the Borough, both with injuries without injury. The database will identify the causes and prioritise actions to improve road safety.
We commit to carry out these actions over the next 3 years in collaboration with the Government of Navarra, Navarra Institut of health workers and Federation of Navarra County Councils.