The Local Police Force of Sant Boi de Llobregat (Barcelona) employs 122 members of staff to carry out policing and other functions. We aim to work with the municipal authorities and community agents to improve the quality of life in our municipality. In order to do so, we have five organisational divisions responsible for the following five areas: road safety, citizen safety, quality of life and civic behaviour, civil protection and emergencies, and education and communication for prevention.
Our objective is to contribute to reducing traffic accidents in Sant Boi de Llobregat, focusing on school and extracurricular education and driver, passenger and pedestrian attitudes and behaviour, placing particular emphasis on three dimensions of road risk in our municipality: people who are less familiar with road risk (the under-15 and over-64 age groups), the role of pedestrians in relation to the risk of being knocked down and the use of passive safety and child restraint systems.
1) We will have a permanent road safety education team with a minimum of two state- and regionally-qualified monitors. One monitor will be specialised in pre-school/nursery/primary education, and the other will be specialised in secondary and extracurricular (elderly, new citizens, disabled people and leisure) education.
2) Every year, we will hold at least 80 practical interactive sessions in the street focused on preventing being knocked down by vehicles, reaching at least 2,000 people targeted in the youth category.
3) We will hold at least one interactive session twice a year focusing on preventing being knocked down, reaching at least 200 people targeted in the senior citizen category.
4) Every year, we will hold a minimum of 50 practical interactive sessions in the street or on simulated road circuits focusing on cycling, reaching at least 1,250 people targeted in the youth category.
5) Every year, we will hold at least 90 practical interactive sessions focusing on the use of passive safety and child restraint systems, reaching at least 2,250 people targeted in the youth category.
6) We will publish a minimum of seven leaflets designed in-house every year:
1. Passive safety and child restraint systems.
4. Motorised access to the natural surroundings of Sant Boi.
5. Comprehension of road signs.
6. The role of pedestrians.
These leaflets will be distributed en masse on a monthly basis through internal police channels (road safety educators, neighbourhood police and traffic police) and local channels (town council, civic centres, schools and sports centres).
7) Through these measures, we aim to reach a percentage of the target equivalent to 15% of the risk population covered by our programme (under-15s and over 64s officially residing in our municipality) every year.