The Union of Italian Provinces (UPI) is the association that represents all the Italian provinces, excluding the autonomous provinces of Trento, Bolzano and Aosta. The IPU performs tasks of recovery, sales, technical and political support in favor of their associated.
Road safety is a key aspect and a priority that cannot be postponed without the high costs associated to social welfare and urban safety in general. A centralized approach is also essential to contribute to the objectives of the European Union to reduce mortality at road accidents.
For these reasons, the UPI and the ANCI (Association of Italian Municipalities) have signed a protocol establishing a Centre of Local Road Safety. The aim is to operate an action based on synergy on the areas involved through proper development and dissemination of data and information available to the local police and national statistical authorities.
We consider appropriate the creation of an "Action Monitoring system" of road safety in urban areas. This will enable us to collect and arrange information necessary for the analysis of the activities and policies related to road safety in urban areas.
Through this protocol, we will develop the following actions in the coming years:
- A Database on road safety in urban areas. This will involve the development of a computerized documentation center. It will consist of collected and systematized data in urban areas as well as data related to urban governance factors that are related to road traffic accidents;
- Assistance and support to provinces and municipalities in their attempt to disseminate information to improve levels of road safety campaigns in order to combat the most serious and dangerous driving behaviors;
- Research and exchange of good practices at a local level through national and international events. We will carry out technical seminars on relevant issues;
- Creation of links with other monitoring activities on the national and regional planning. In particular, we will carry out a preliminary survey on the current situation of road safety, municipal networks and the competence of the provinces. The aim is to highlight the current situation of road related accidents and the actions that are being taken today. In addition it will demonstrate the process of planning new actions as well as the technical- legislation behind them.
- Central actions of dissemination of results and the implementation of innovative processes such as:
The creation of a website, distribution of periodic newsletters, creation of reports and publications;
- Training activities will also be implemented in the province.