Altea Local Police, as a public service dedicated to the protection of citizens, focuses its work on defending free exercise of the rights and liberties acknowledged to individuals and on watching over the compliance with the bylaws, with the aim of improving the quality of life and wellbeing of the locals through prevention and help. The workforce is composed of 52 police members, hierarchally distributed as 1 Chief Inspector, 7 Officials and 43 Local Police Officers.
The next 3-year commitment includes the following actions:
• Road safety education programme designed for primary school pupils: prevention, risk behaviour of children and youths as pedestrians, passengers and bicycle or moped drivers conducted in all municipal Primary Education centres (about 250 pupils per school course of 1º-3º-5º). Within about three years, the aim is to teach the classes to the 6 Primary School grades.
• Road practices carried out in the Children’s Traffic Park, as well as in closed circuits inside school centred on pupils in the first grade.
• Road safety campaigns developed by the Local Police: o Control, awareness and use of protective barriers: helmet and seatbelt. o Control and awareness regarding the ban on mobile phone use while driving. o Speed control campaign. o Noise control campaign. o School transport control. o Blood alcohol concentration preventive control
• Road safety campaigns in coordination with the eight local police bodies of the Marina Baixa district (Regional Commission for Prevention as Part of Local Safety).
• Improving infrastructure and traffic management: o Annual road study of the local needs per sectors and/or influence areas. o Actions carried out in the vicinity of schools. o Analysis and monitoring of school routes. o Redeployment of road traffic, if necessary.