Vilnius City Council
10 June 2010
Vilnius is the capital of the Republic of Lithuania and the largest administrative centre in Lithuania with all major political, economic, social and cultural centres. Vilnius City Municipality provides public administration services and performs various city management functions.
The municipal council is looking for ways to improve the provision of road-traffic regulations and standards by addressing road safety issues and arranging the installation of technical measures for traffic control on the streets of the city.
Vilnius City Municipaity plans for road safety for the next three years:
1. We will analyse locations in the capital city with the highest accident rates and eliminate defects in the infrastructure which affect the number of accidents: lighting, crosswalks, safety isles and other measures on a needs basis, which are analysed at all times.
2. At uncontrolled crosswalks we will install from 10 to 20 additional safety isles.
3. Improving lighting. At present, approximately one in every three streetlamps in the city works. We commit ourselves to ensuring that in two years time all streetlamps will be operational.
4. Further development of automatic speed controls in the city. We will put out a tender to install an automatic speed control system which complies with current requirements, is more modern and operates more efficiently than the existing one.
5. Installation of "raised crosswalks" in the most hazardous areas of the capital city. We will install 16 raised crosswalks in 2010 and as needed in the next two years.
6. Improving the centralised traffic-light system. Over the next two years the centralised traffic-light system will be integrated with the operation of public transport with more green lights for buses and trolley-buses.