The aim of the centre is to improve road safety in Italy. In accordance with the objectives of the European Commission and responsible national institutions, it will also aim to reduce accident rates drastically through the development of research and planning activities in the field of road safety, in cooperation with departments at various national universities and public and/or private bodies.
We commit to the European Road Safety Charter with the following activity plan. The main research topics for development will concern:
1. Analysis and compilation of accident data. One of the main centres that established national territorial systems will form part of the centre. Staff expertise and state-of-the-art IT systems will allow for a territorial overview of accident rates and the compilation of scientifically-based statistical indicators, which are essential in terms of decision-making.
2. Development of innovative "education" systems in relation to the principles underlying road safety, targeting the entire population, particularly young people, through the development of communication techniques to maximise learning.
3. Development of road control and certification systems which, together with the provisions of European and national regulations, allow for the constant improvement of infrastructure, based on theoretical or experimental ad hoc studies.
4. Advanced information/communication systems that provide rapid information to users on the traffic conditions, maintenance and driving difficulty of stretches of road will be one of the main themes linked to the improvement of the road network, in addition to traditional analyses of organisation and road signs.
5. The development of advanced vehicle systems featuring state-of-the-art technology to alert drivers to dangerous situations will be the focus of the second item in point 3, and will stem from the centre's expertise as well as cooperation with manufacturers' research centres.