Reaction, Youth for the Prevention Ltd is an NGO with a primary mission to prevent, research and inform young people about road safety issues. They also focus on environmental issues, public health and educational issues. Reaction is based in Nicosia, Cyprus and works closely with YOURS (Youth for Road Safety).
Reaction, Youth for the Prevention commits to carry out the following activities for the next three years:
1. Deliver seminars and organize meetings with young people under the age of 30 with the aim to educate them further on road safety. Our staff before undertaking these seminars will be trained on road safety topics as well as on how to deliver them in lecture.
2. We will deliver road safety lectures in public schools. We have already obtained the necessary permissions from the Ministry of Education and our staff will be informing young people in High Schools and Lyceums on preventive behavior topics as well as on the laws and regulations regarding the correct use of the road infrastructure in Cyprus.
3. We will create and maintain a road safety “hotline” this will be a telephone number where people can call to report dangers they have spotted in the road. We will then where necessary inform the public authorities about them.
4. We carry out a survey style research to find out how effective road safety campaigns are in Cyprus. We will then use these results to investigate how best road safety campaigns can be adapted or modified to have a stronger impact on their target audience.
5. We will implement the road safety education program named “Phaethon” which is targeted at young people between the age of 2 and 20. This program targets children in Kindergartens to pupils at high schools and entails organizing meetings and discussing about road safety topics.
6. We will implement the road safety ambassadors’ programme the aim of which is to identify throughout the island 2000 road safety ambassadors that will be acting as good practice and information agents. These ambassadors will first receive first aid training, psychological support for victims training as well training on the laws and regulations of the roads. Their goal will then be to disseminate this knowledge to the rest of the population
7. We will carry out the Hermes 2011- 2020 programme which is targeted to people between the age of 21 and 30. This will involve organizing along with municipalities and private organizations events with road safety themes on specific dates that are to be confirmed.