ACEM, the Motorcycle Industry in Europe, is the professional body representing the interests and combined skills of 12 powered two wheelers(PTWs) manufacturers and 14 national associations at European level. ACEM is committed to improve safety of PTWs and willingly takes its share of the collective responsibility. The members of ACEM account for 90% of the production and up to 95% of the European market.
Promotion & Advertising guidelines
The ACEM Promotion & Advertising guidelines commitment covers the following areas and entails the following actions:
Safety-oriented powered two-wheelers advertising content:
* All riders and passengers shown in a riding position shall always wear a certified helmet and be shown in compliance with the relevant road safety regulations.
* All promotion & advertisements, where deemed appropriate, shall show an insignia or a message denoting a helmet and a text recommending riders to ride responsibly and wear a certified helmet (e.g.: “ride safely, wear a helmet”).
* When appropriate the advertisement shall indicate that the pictures have been shot on a circuit/closed road with a professional rider.
Promotion of safety-enhancing features:
* Manufacturers shall include in any promotion & advertisement details of any safety-enhancing features of the advertised powered two-wheeler.
Promotion of dealer training programmes:
* Manufacturers acknowledge the need for joint development and promotion of dealer training programmes on the Promotion & Advertising guidelines.
* Manufacturers shall include in any dealer training details of any safety-enhancing features of their powered two-wheelers with the corresponding promotional material.
* Manufacturers shall inform the Media about and supply them with the ACEM Promotion & Advertising guidelines, with respect to the on-road testing of powered two-wheelers.
The ACEM Promotion and Advertisement guidelines will be implemented from January 2007. A transitional period of 12 months is foreseen for notification to the importers/distributors/dealers and clearing of the existing promotion & advertisement material.
A yearly monitoring will be undertaken under the responsibility of ACEM.