We decide to renew our commitment with the aim to reduce the amount and the effects of road accident fatalities with the following activities:
1. We will organise lectures and seminars on Highway Code in collaboration with Police for kindergartens and elementary schools.
· The project “Policewoman in the kindergarten” will prepare pupils for going to/from school. We will organize it in approximately 9 kindergartens for 900 pupils.
·The project “Pedestrian and cyclist” for children of elementary schools (first 4 years) will focus on behaviour of non-motorized road users. The project will attract about 100 children.
·The project “Me and my bicycle” - we will organise regional competition of cyclist youth on traffic playground. The competition will attend around 40 winners of different districts in east part of Slovakia.
2. Raising awareness among road users
· “Devil and Santa Claus campaign” - In collaboration with primary school pupils, the municipal police and the urban police, we will organise the “Devil and Santa Claus” campaign. It consists of preventative actions that aim to control the respect of the Highway Code, obligatory equipment for vehicles, etc. The aim is to raise awareness among drivers about sensible driving without penalising them. In the event of infractions, children will give a painting book of Devil to drivers; if the opposite occurs, they will give painting book of Santa Claus.
· The project “Safety on the zebra crossing” will focus on the education of Highway Code for pedestrians.
· The project “We are cycling, we are cycling”- we will organize to improve the education of cyclists on Highway Code. The children will give leaflets with "10 rules for pedestrians and cyclists".
3. In next 3 years we will continue to help another 2 schools to set up traffic playgrounds. We will provide them with horizontal and vertical road signs and luminous signs, and we will help them to adapt surfaces.
4. We will continue in every year campaign “The month of road safety” targeting the general public. We will collaborate with the police force, the municipal police, the state administration, and nursery, primary and secondary schools.
· Comparing the results of car accidents with previous years, and drawing up a proposal to obtain better results.
· The publication of 6,000 road safety brochures for children and the public at large during the year. The police will hand these out at courses and seminars organised at schools and nursery schools. Children will also be taught about road safety through a snakes and ladders-type game.
· We will continue on a photograph exhibition for the public on the effects of car accidents.
· We will continue in increasing the police controls on pedestrian crossings near schools when school starts after the summer holidays. This action will be carried out at 20 schools that are closest to the most used roads.
5. We will have every year campaign ¨European Week of Mobility¨ for general public. We will prepare different activities and lessons primarily focused on using the public transport and not automobile transport.
6. Traffic safety and flow
· Increase in the number of cameras that photograph vehicles to better control vehicles that jump red lights. The plan is 8 crossing roads in 2011.
· Adjustment of traffic light signals with blinking green signal at the end of cycle (there are currently 5 cross-roads make like this, and the objective is to make 15 till 2013).
· We will continue in building new cross-roads and zebra crossing with the aim to ensure the road traffic to be smooth and safe,
· Highlighting the zebra crossings in busy areas in red (100 per year) and its road signs on yellow reflective background,
· Installation of plastic boxes filled with sand in the middle of long zebra crossings as a barrier against possible collisions of vehicles and pedestrians (10 zebra crossings),
· Installation of 3 electronic speed indicator in dangerous places till 2013,
· Building of 4 cycling paths separate from traffic roads,
· To publish a bike map of Kosice and surroundings in amount of 3,000.