Symola (Lavrio Motorcyclists Club) is an association based in Lavrio, Greece. The association serves as a meeting and communication point for motorcyclists and motorcycle lovers within its region. Amongst others, it focuses on the organization of excursions and circulation of information on issues that affect the driving behavior of its members and accident prevention.
Symola aims to develop a new ideology/philosophy at the members of its organization as to the relation between the motorbike and the rider. With the correct use of the motorbike, the respect towards the rest of the members of our society, respect towards the environment we aim to achieve the maximum driving enjoyment that the motorcycle can offer.
Symola commits to the European Road Safety Charter for the coming three years with the following actions and initiatives:
1. Dissemination of information with regards to the correct use of the motorbike (technical maintenance, safe driving and accident prevention). This will be done through the following methods:
• Open conversation between members
• Website posts, updates and email
• Leaflet distribution.
• Local media (radio, newspapers) interviews, articles
2. Creation of a technical library of maps, user guides and sites worth visiting. Part of the library will include modules or material on:
• (Correct) bike maintenance and generally manuals, guides, for how and when to: change tires, chains, sprockets, brake pads etc.
• A safe bike is always better to drive and has fewer chances to engage to accident.
The Library will also include books, videos, leaflets, Motorcycle related Magazines, promotional material from Riders equipment shops for what to use and wear when riding.
3. Contribution to the research and studies for solving local issues those have to do with traffic circulation and parking areas. We will do this by consulting and reporting to local authorities: Traffic police, Municipality committees for dangerous spots on roads, wrong or missing road signs and also informing the drivers and riders
4. Training and education of the newer members of our association on our principles. The key areas that will be focused upon are:
• Respect on road and driving behavior.
• Safe driving on wet road.
• Proper motorcycle servicing.
• Riders required equipment.
5. Organization of events and talks related to the motorcycle, traffic problems and road safety.
In May 2012, we plan a daily conference to the local high school of Lavrio, this will be with the participation of known Greek road safety experts. Main subject will be about. “Safe driving of small displacement motorcycles and Helmet use” target audience will be students between 13 – 17 years old. More details will be announced on our website soon.