Founded in 1974, STIVO is the bus network in Cergy-Pontoise. It has 330 employees, 260 of which are drivers. The company serves 13 municipalities thanks to its 19 lines. The fleet, regularly renewed for greater comfort and respect for the environment, amounts to 104 vehicles.
Almost 76,000 passengers travel on STIVO buses every day (2008 census data).
In order to continue improving road safety as a public transport provider, we shall renew our commitment to the following actions:
- Driving behaviour: Two-day (approximately) bus driver training. The entire body of drivers will be trained in groups of eight over three years. Issues addressed: Evaluation of road behaviour / Manoeuvrability of the vehicle on technical platform / Revision of the rules of the road (series of rules) / Revision of regulations related to the transport of passengers / Eco-driving approach.
- Participation in the Golden Bus for bus drivers during the National Road Safety Week every two years. Competition for the best French driver organised by the Public Transport Union (UTP). Two exams including one theory test (series of questions) and one practical test (circuit). Pre-selection criteria oriented towards road safety culture.
- Road Safety Week: For all company staff, including offices particularly through home-work commuting during Road Safety Week. By observing the accidents in the previous year, we adapt our awareness-raising actions by setting the objective of “zero accidents” in this period for our employees. We also address the issue of using mobile phones at the wheel, respecting speed limits in bus stations and traffic lights, driving flexibility and anticipation.
- Student shuttle buses: Among bus drivers, student unions in Cergy-Pontoise and the coordination of road safety in the Prefecture of Val d’Oise. Signature of an agreement with these partners to put student shuttle buses into operation aimed at bringing young people to and from student parties and events in the utmost safety. Student unions are also committed by means of signing the responsible driving charter.
- Road safety and citizen visits: Among schoolchildren in the town of Cergy-Pontoise in elementary school (10 years old) and middle school (11 years old) and occasionally other classes. Road safety visits organised in the STIVO depot to introduce young people into the world of transport and the rules of road safety and civility to be observed on buses and at bus stops. Several visits are undertaken during the year thanks to the intervention of drivers and controllers or liaison officers. Information leaflets, outlining the rules for travelling safely by bus, and an educational tool kit are distributed.