Department of Technical Cybernetics of the Faculty of Management Science and Informatics, University of Žilina in Žilina is mainly focused on a development of non-standard technical means and algorithms for control and information systems. At the present it employs 15 lecturers, 2 technical assistants and 4 PhD students.
Whereas the number of road accident victims in Europe at present is unacceptable, we have decided to sign the commitment and apart from our common research we will, during the commitment duration, implement additional activities, going beyond the regulatory requirements, to contribute especially to the vehicle safety, especially by:
· Implementation of adaptive and learning algorithms for automatic control into the decision process of vehicle’s control in traffic network. For example, one of the key problems of traffic safety is non-disciplinarily of all traffic participants (pedestrians and vehicles) when they ignore (mostly because of lack of time) traffic lights, what is often causation of many accidents. Adaptive control of intersections proceeding could decrease the waiting time so it could coerce the traffic participants to wait for the appropriate signal.
· Design and implementation of vehicle environment sensors that will provide technical and statistical information making for a better understanding of the causes of accidents;
· Design and implementation of vehicle safety sensors that will detect potentially dangerous driving situations;
· Development of Vehicle-to-Vehicle and Vehicle-to-Infrastructure communication systems through that will be possible to broadcast vehicle’s status information to the all traffic users;
· Modelling the Human-Operator behaviour by the Human-Vehicle interaction - Behaviour of all vehicle drivers and their latencies are affected by various factors (age, lassitude, stress, etc.). Understanding to the behaviour parameters of "common driver" in specific season and time period (e.g. in winter at night) over specific areas (big cities vs. smaller, e.g. Barcelona vs. Žilina) is one of important resources necessary for the traffic safety improvement (analysis of the safe car distances, reaction times, etc.).
· Integration of global navigation satellite systems into the safety applications for the traffic systems;
· Development of the systems for the animals movement monitoring - as a potential cause of the traffic accidents.
All of these activities will be regularly posted on our webpage and will be dealt with our partners in Slovakia and abroad.