We will commit to the European Road Safety Charter with the following activities:
- The regular inspection of wheels and associated components to reinforce wheel security
- Reversing and whole vehicle cameras to assist the driver when reversing or manoeuvring.
- The provision of 'Nearside' warning alarms, to alert road users alongside the truck, that the truck is about to turn towards the nearside, thus reducing risk of interaction with vulnerable road users in the blind spot!
- Warning signs at the back corner of the truck to warn of cyclists of the danger of trying to pass on the inside of trucks
We will ensure we provide regular training for our drivers, through the training of 'Driver assessors' at each operational depot, with a special focus on defensive driving techniques.
- We will provide regular reviews and updates through our 'Champions' assessment panel, on: The Champions assessment panel shall incorporate Senior Managers from the Division, who shall meet to discuss trends, findings and performance on a regular basis and identify best practice.
- Company policies and procedures, incident reporting
- Safety features on the vehicles
- Awareness of other road users (especially vulnerable road users like cyclists and pedestrians)
- The need to maintain a general alertness at all times,
- The dangers of excessive speed and the need for speed adjustment for certain conditions etc,
- Keeping a safe distance.
- Commonalities identified when completing analysis of 'near misses' i.e. any instance for which there was no outcome, but may have potential for incident.
We intend to standardise our approach towards driver management to ensure a consistent high level of performance in safety.
- This process will involve the checking of past and current performance, through telematic systems fitted to the vehicles.
- The regular assessment of drivers through our 'COLA' on line driver assessment and training tool. The COLA system is a 'Computer On Line Assessment' programme which shall identify a drivers performance in Hazard perception, Driving Theory, attitude and risk, and allocates a 'risk rating' to the driver after assessment, and shall then recommend training (which can then be delivered online) to improve skills.