Agia Napa is located at the far eastern end of the southern coast of Cyprus, in the Famagusta province. It was voted the best European Beach Tourist Destination for the year 2010-11. The Agia Napa Municipality area covers 3130 hectares and has a population of 3000 people. Agia Napa is also famous for its natural environment and archaeological findings.
The Municipality of Agia Napa, aims to reduce accidents through the European Road Safety Charter, by adopting the following measures for the next three years:
1. Organization of informational events, aiming to raise awareness on road safety issues and to provide guidelines for the correct and safe usage of our roads. Since statistically most of the casualties involve young men, the seminars can take place in schools and army camps in the Famagusta province. The events could include a road safety fair aimed at younger children.
2. Distribution of informative leaflets for our visitors in several different languages, trying to inform them about the specifications on driving in Cyprus and the regional road characteristics. We will make sure there is information and maps available for all our visitors.
3. Better road signage of our area, and upgrade the existing roads. We will evaluate the current road signage and make the necessary improvements where needed.
4. We will take special care in expanding and improving our bicycle roads, so cyclists can move around the municipality safely.
5. We will work towards the elimination of High-risk accident sites (black spots). In order to do this we will proceed to Infrastructure interventions: improvement of lighting and the internal road network.
6. Municipal traffic wardens will focus on illegal parking, in order to improve the pedestrian's safety.