The Police Office of Socuéllamos City Council commits to undertake the following actions in order to improve the road safety:
1. We will reduce injuries among people in traffic accidents over the coming three years by ensuring that motorcycle and motorbike drivers, as well as their companions, always use bike helmets.
We will carry out an awareness campaigns through the media: in the newspaper entitled "Socuéllamos 30 días", in which information on road safety and accidents will be published every two months, and on the "Televisión Socuéllamos" television channel, where we will have bi-monthly television appearances on news programmes.
The mobile motorcycle and motorbike park of the Socuéllamos city council included more or less 1,600 motorcycle and 300 motorbikes. The organisations involved in this action include the traffic and culture departments, the department of education, the Montero driving school, the "Socuéllamos 30 días" newspaper, "Televisión Socuéllamos", and the local police force.
2. We will raise awareness over the next three years among 500 schoolchildren as to the risks and dangers related to traffic, providing over 100 hours of road education for the following groups:
o 5th and 6th year primary school students
o 2nd and 4th year secondary school students
This action focuses on the common objectives of general traffic regulations based on:
o Knowledge of basic conduct as public road users: pedestrians, travellers and drivers (of all kinds of vehicles, including bicycles).
o Knowledge of the Children's Traffic Park and signs, through practical classes carried out at the park and local and provincial bicycle, kart and moped competitions, which prepare students for the National Road Education Competition.
o Knowledge of the concept and types of public roads, the components of a transport road, its dangers and signs.
o Knowledge of the rules and special precautions related to driving, such as the use of helmets, alcohol consumption, night driving and adverse weather conditions.
o Knowledge of bicycle and motorcycle driving regulations and administrative requirements for driving the latter.
o Risk factors and the prevention of traffic accidents.
3. We will raise awareness over the next three years among vehicle owners as to the obligation to take out compulsory insurance and have up-to-date MOTs, as well as transfers for possible purchases and sales of vehicles through the establishment of specific control mechanisms. Two annual controls will be carried out and there will be regular awareness publications in the various media (the "Socuéllamos 30 Días" newspaper, which will publish information on road safety and accidents on a bi-monthly basis, and "Televisión Socuéllamos", where we will make bi-monthly television appearances on news programmes).
4. We will organise traffic over the next three years in those areas of the city with known traffic problems or where the safety of the road itself is an issue. We will also renew all priority signs (stop and give way signs) in the city that are either in disrepair or obsolete, with the aim of reducing related accidents as far as possible, thus benefiting the 14,000 inhabitants of the city.
5. On a yearly basis, and through the culture department and local newspapers and television channels, we will give practical road safety advice relating to understanding the rules and preventing traffic accidents. It has been estimated that 5,000 people read the local newspaper, and 10,000 watch the local television channel.
6. Following the successful participation and organization of the European Road Safety Day I and II in the town, we will celebrate the next European Road Safety Day with various activities.
7. We will further promote the use of new information technologies and communications, continually renewing our website and our blog about road safety, to facilitate the participation of citizens.
8. We will promote a greater exchange of experiences and best practices with other entities involved in road safety, mainly signatories of the European Road Safety Charter, attending working sessions, conferences, etc.