Rakvere is a city in northern Estonia, about 20 km from the Gulf of Finland. It is the administrative centre for Lääne-Viru county and has 16767 01.06.2012) inhabitants. Rakvere City Government has 45 employees.
In order to attain the traffic safety goals in Rakvere, the city commits to undertake following actions:
1) Crossroads - the city has decided to make safe 11 most problematic crossroads in the city by the year 2015 by goal-oriented designing of the traffic environment (changing the crossroads into safe roundabouts, creating islands in dangerous crossroads, adding traffic lights if necessary).
2) Turn the railroad crossing into a safe level crossing - the city will close a one-level crossing of the railroad and build an overpass (viaduct) over the railroad diminishing thus the number of accidents on the railroad crossing.
3) Developing and building bicycle routes - the city is developing about 30 km of bicycle and other traffic vehicle roads and will establish bicycle parking lots with the objective of turning the other vehicle traffic into most important way of movement in the city and improving the traffic safety by it.
4) Pedestrian crossings - the city has decided to increase the safety of 20 crossroads in the city by taking constructional measures and rising this way the attentiveness of the drivers by building safety-islands, narrowing the roadlanes and improving the visibility conditions.
5) Communication and informing - in schools and daycare centers (3 daycare centres and 6 schools) information days and campaigns directed towards traffic safety and improving behavioural patterns will be conducted in order to increase the awareness amongst children.