The International Road Carriers Association (ZMPD), the biggest Polish association in the line of road transport, has been in existence since 1957. It embraces over 4,000 carriers that work in the international road transport sector. The fundamental goal of the association is to offer assistance and provide information to its members on matters concerning transport and to represent their interests before state administration bodies and national and international organisations. ZMPD is a member of the International Road Transport Union (IRU) based in Geneva.
As its contribution towards the activities of the European Road Safety Charter, our Association commits itself to carry out the following actions, for the next 3 years:
1. Preparation of information for members (transport companies) relating to safe behaviour of road users (reaching over 4,500 members - that is, about 70,000 trucks) via individual member mailboxes and our internet website. Mail news and up-dates are sent on a daily basis (2-3 times a day); information on the website is published ca. 3 times per month and is available for all Internet users.
2. Organisation of trainings aimed at improving skills of truck drivers concerning various aspects of road safety - at least 2000 drivers per year.
3. Preparation and organisation of press conferences, seminars and courses on road safety. We will organise at least 2 big press conferences every year, in which about 80 Polish and foreign journalist representing various media (press, radio, TV) will participate.
4. Preparation of leaflets and brochures for transport companies, e.g., a catalogue of the rules for safe coaches, different guides, control checks to be made by truck and bus drivers, safe driving in road tunnels, etc. We will issue and distribute at least 4000 materials of this kind.
5. Analysis of road accidents caused by truck and coach drivers. Its results will be later used for preparation of trainings as well as for information purposes: during press conferences, in articles concerning road safety, etc.
6. Promotion of social initiatives and co-organisation of actions promoting safe driving, e.g., "Safe Schools by the Road". The action is carried out in a form of dynamic show and its most important goal is to educate children about the risks related to the traffic of buses and trucks (including visualization of the differences of size and weight between a truck and a small car, and indicating them places around the truck/bus, where they are not correctly seen by the driver). Every time in the event participate about 100 children.